For the lavender gin:
- 50ml / 25 ounces Gin
- 1 Tablespoon food grade lavender
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 2 Drops of violet food colouring (optional)
For the lemonade:
- 80 ml / 3 ounces lemon juice
- 45 ml / 1½ soda water
- 60 ml / 2 ounces simple syrup
To make the Lavender gin:
- In a large sterilised bottle, combine the lavender, sugar and gin. Seal and leave in a cool dark place to infuse for 7 days.
- Taste the gin, adding more sugar if necessary or leaving to build up a heavier floral flavour if you wish.
- Once you’re satisfied with the results, strain through a muslin cloth of fine sieve to remove the lavender. At this point, you can enhance the colour by adding 2 drops of violet food colouring.
- Lavender gin is perfectly paired with homemade lemonade for a refreshing Summer cool down but it also works well in a straight up martini or topped with a splash of tonic and served neat over ice.
To make the cocktail:
- Combine the lemon juice, soda water and simple syrup in a large jug. Pour in to a tumbler over ice
- Using the back of a bar spoon, pour 45ml of lavender gin slowly on to the top to create an ombre effect.
- Garnish with a sprig of lavender – the perfect stirring tool, or a spiral of lemon zest