Cardamom is one of my favorite flavors ever, I just can’t get enough of it. Cardamom ice cream is my favorite thing ever! Cardamom buns, and all sorts of cardamom-laced baked goods are a close second. I don’t think I’ve ever had a cardamom treat(?!) I haven’t scoffed in second (except ice cream – Stripes and Bees vs Brain Freeze is not a game i like to play often).
Blondies have been a favourite ever since my sister bought them back from a cafe she was working in over one summer.
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- zest of one large orange
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 cup good-quality white chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Grease a baking tray (high sides, we’re baking brownies).
- Melt the butter in a medium bowl and stir in the brown sugar until smooth. Set aside to cool to room temperature while you prep the rest of the ingredients.
- In another medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, orange zest and cardamom; set aside.
- Once cool, beat together the butter mixture, eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Add in the flour mixture and beat until incorporated and then stir in the white chocolate chunks.
- Spread the dough into the prepared tray and bake for 25-35 minutes, until lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
I like to leave them plain, but you could cover these blondies in a light icing and sprinkles or pistachios or more orange zest, orange flavoured icing… or plain. You’ll still want to stuff all of them into your mouth.